The Ponte Vecchio dates back to the roman times and was the bridge that crossed the Arno river until 1218. Originally made of wood, the bridge was destroyed by a flood in 1383 and rebuilt in 1347 using the same architectural style as we see today.
Originally, the bridge was home to butchers. However, due to the unpleasant stench they were moved in 1593, and it was decreed that only gold and silver smiths could have stores on the bridge.
Visit the Ponte Vecchio for amazing pictures, views, and shopping for gold and silver jewelry.